Food poisoning ends hopes of title
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 3:00PM GMT.
A BOUT of food poisoning ended Mariana Agathangelou’s hopes of a title at the Swedish Badminton International in Stockholm on Saturday.
With the National Championships just over a week away the 22-year-old and partner Heather Olver had been well placed in the ladies’ doubles.
Seeded second they had come through their second round match, following a bye in the first, in 32 minutes on Friday, defeating Laura Choinet and Lea Palermo of France 21-16, 21-12.
But, that night, with a place booked in the quarter-finals, Agathangelou became unwell with what she now knows to be food poisoning.
Feeling better the following day the former Jersey College for Girls student joined Olver on court where they came through their game against French pair Emilie Lefel and Marion Luttman 23-21, 21-11.
However, now into the semi-finals, Agathangelou took another turn for the worse and despite the British duo winning their first set against the highly rated Line Damkjaer Kruse and Marie Ropke 23-21 she was forced to retire at 17-10 down in the second.