Cohen: Hate-mongers won’t stop me standing
Monday 5th September 2011, 1:29PM BST.
AFTER weeks of speculation, Senator Freddie Cohen has announced that he will stand for re-election after all.
He says that he will not be intimidated by the ‘anonymous hate-mongers’ who threatened him and his family earlier this year in an anti-Semitic attack.
Senator Cohen (53) spent 5½ years as Environment Minister before stepping down from the role in the spring to focus on his new job as foreign minister.
On the eve of the deadline for candidates to put their name forward, he said: ‘I have worked very hard and delivered novel policies, ranging from Eco-Active and the Architecture Commission to agreement in principle on zero-ten, and I have a lot more to offer and want to give the electorate the opportunity to consider me.’
The Senator added that he would not be intimidated from standing after receiving anti-Semitic abuse and death threats earlier this year. Although a police investigation into the threats took place, no one was charged.
Full story in Monday’s JEP