Be alert at home to the silent killer
Monday 19th November 2012, 2:50PM GMT.
A MAJOR campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide has been launched by the Fire and Rescue Service today.
The silent killer, as it is commonly referred to because the gas is colourless and odourless, causes between 40 and 50 fatalities in the UK every year and countless more suffer non-fatal poisonings.
In Jersey there have been four deaths recorded due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the past five years (2007-2011). However, it is unknown whether the deaths were accidental or from suicides.
In their campaign, which coincides this week with a similar national initiative to raise awareness about the gas, the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service want to highlight the signs to look out for that may suggest carbon monoxide is being released and the symptoms of poisoning.